10 Tips to Keep Your Teeth Strong and Healthy

 In oral hygiene

The need for us to take the health of our teeth into our own hands has become even more important nowadays. With soft drinks and sugary foods on the rise, our poor teeth are under attack. At the same time, advancements in dentistry have made it easy for us to take good care of our teeth – we just need to make good use of them. Here are a few tips on how we can do that.

Brush Your Teeth Daily

Our teeth deserve some attention. Brushing them twice a day will help keep them strong and healthy in the long run. Choosing a toothbrush is important too – one with soft bristles so as not to hurt your gums and with a head that is not too big is important, in that way you can reach your back teeth.

Don’t Forget to Floss

When it comes to flossing, a slow and gentle swaying motion will prevent you from hurting your gums.

Brush Properly

In order to make sure that your teeth are thoroughly clean – they need to be brushed for at least two minutes twice a day – preferably after meals.

Fluoride, Fluoride, Fluoride

Fluoride is known to help prevent tooth decay by hardening tooth enamel. Around 75% of Americans drink fluoridated water, which might mean that the other 25% need to use a fluoride application on their teeth. However, it is important to consult your dentist about these matters to get the correct advice for your particular situation. Fluoride is found in most toothpastes and mouthwashes so it would be wise to ensure that you are not using too much – especially for children, who cannot be exposed to too much fluoride.

Rinse or Chew Gum

After each meal, rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash could help prevent tooth decay and gum disease. Chewing sugar free gum would also be advantageous when it comes to neutralizing acid and washing away bacteria.

Watch What You Inhale

Smokers seem to forget the harm that they are causing to their mouth. Not only does tobacco stain the teeth, but it also increases the risk of gum disease.

Avoid Sugar

Some people are just as guilty when we look at what they eat! It’s interesting that bacteria found in your teeth actually turn sugary foods into acid. This acid, in turn, erodes the tooth enamel and can cause tooth decay.

Keep a Balanced Diet

In the same way, a balanced diet is essential. Grains, nuts, fruits and vegetables, and dairy products will provide the necessary nutrients to keep your teeth strong and healthy.

Protect Your Mouth

There is no shame in wearing a mouth guard or a full-face helmet when playing sport – this could save your teeth.

Save Knocked Out Teeth

If you cannot prevent it, then at least try and save the free tooth. One way to do this is by holding the tooth in place until you receive medical attention, or place the tooth in milk or rap it in plastic until your dentist can help you.

Regular Check-ups

Regular check-ups should take place every six months, or if you have a problem then the visits would be more frequent.

These tips will help you keep your teeth strong and healthy for as long as possible. Remember, your teeth are important so be sure to look after them. If you do, the chances of them lasting longer will be higher.

Finally, instead of going online and typing “dentist downtown Vancouver“, why not talk to our team today, let’s help you sharpen that smile!

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search

laser dentistrybad breath